5 Easy Tips for Wearing Shapewear Comfortably and Stylishly
Shapewear is a helpful tool for achieving a smooth silhouette and boosting confidence. However, it's important to know how to wear shapewear comfortably and stylishly. In this article, you’ll be given five easy tips that can help you get more from your shapewear. From understanding the basics of shapewear to properly caring for it, this article will attempt to answer many of your questions.
Understanding the Basics of Shapewear
Before delving into the tips, it's important to understand the basics of shapewear. Shapewear is designed to compress and smooth out specific areas of the body, giving you a more streamlined appearance. It's available in various designs and styles, ranging from briefs and shorts to full-body suits. Most shapewear is made from stretchy materials such as spandex, nylon, and polyester, which provide comfortable compression.
Shapewear has been around for centuries, with early versions made from materials such as whalebone and metal. These early designs were often uncomfortable and restrictive, with women having to endure discomfort in the name of fashion. However, modern shapewear is designed with both comfort and style in mind, allowing you to achieve a sleek silhouette without sacrificing comfort.
Types of Shapewear
When it comes to shapewear, there are different types that serve various purposes. Some of the most common types include:
- High-waist briefs or shorts: These are designed to enhance the waistline and smooth out the tummy area. They are perfect for wearing under high-waisted pants or skirts and can help to prevent muffin top.
- Thigh shapers: These target the thighs and provide slimming and shaping benefits. Products like the shortlette by Undersummers, can help to smooth out cellulite and prevent chafing.
- Bodysuits: These cover the entire body and are great for smoothing out the hips, thighs, and tummy area. They can be worn under dresses or jumpsuits to create a seamless look.
- Cami and tanks: These garments give you the appearance of a more firm upper body. They also work like an undershirt to observe sweat and protect your silk blouses or designer cardigans.
Start by choosing the right type of shapewear for your individual needs. Consider the areas of the body you want to target and the type of clothing you will be wearing on top of your shapewear.
How Shapewear Works
Shapewear works by compressing and smoothing out specific areas of the body. The material used in shapewear helps to hold in areas such as the tummy, hips, and thighs, creating a smooth silhouette. However, it's important to select the right level of compression for your needs and ensure that you are wearing the correct size.
Shapewear can also help to improve posture and provide support for the back and core muscles. Therefore, office workers and others that spend a lot of time sitting can greatly benefit from certain types of shapewear.
Choosing the Right Size and Fit
Ensuring that you are wearing the correct size and fit of shapewear is crucial for comfort and effectiveness. When selecting shapewear, take accurate measurements of your waist, hips, and bust area to determine your size. It's important to note that shapewear should fit snugly, but not too tight. If it feels uncomfortable or restrictive, it's likely too small.
To get the right look, you should also consider the length of the shapewear. For example, if you are wearing a dress or skirt, you should choose shapewear that ends at the mid-thigh like the to prevent it from peeking out. If you are wearing pants, choose shapewear that ends at the waistline to prevent it from rolling down.
Overall, shapewear can be a great tool for achieving a smooth and streamlined silhouette. By choosing the right type, size, and fit, you can feel confident and comfortable in any outfit.
Tip 1: Select the Appropriate Shapewear for Your Outfit
One of the most important tips for wearing shapewear comfortably and stylishly is to select the appropriate shapewear for your outfit. Consider the style of clothing you are wearing and select shapewear that will complement it. For example, if you are wearing a bodycon dress, choosing high-waist briefs that smooth out your tummy and hips can help you achieve a sleeker look.
But did you know shapewear can also help improve your posture? If you have a tendency to slouch, shapewear with a built-in bra or back support can help you stand up straighter and feel more confident.
Matching Shapewear with Different Clothing Styles
When it comes to matching shapewear with different clothing styles, consider the following:
- Form-fitting dresses and skirts: Opt for high-waist briefs or shorts, or a full-body suit that targets the areas you want to smooth out.
- Pants and trousers: Thigh shapers or high-waist briefs can help create a smoother look.
- Tight tops and blouses: Cami or tanks can help smooth out the upper body, including the back and bust area.
It's also important to consider the color of your shapewear. While nude or black are the most common colors, today’s shapewear comes in bright colors that can add a pop of personality to your outfit.
Considering the Level of Compression Needed
When selecting shapewear, consider the level of compression that you need. Shapewear comes in various levels of compression, ranging from light to firm. If you are new to wearing shapewear, start with light or medium compression and work your way up as needed.
Tip 2: Prioritize Comfort and Breathability
Comfort and breathability are crucial when wearing shapewear. You want to ensure that you can move freely and that the shapewear doesn't cause any discomfort. After all, who wants to feel uncomfortable all day long? When selecting shapewear, it's important to consider the materials used in making it.
Breathability is very important when it comes to selecting shapewear. In simple terms, the material should allow air to circulate freely, preventing you from feeling too hot and sweaty. Materials that are breathable and moisture-wicking, such as cotton or bamboo, are ideal for shapewear. These fabrics will help keep you cool and dry, even on the hottest of days.
Another important factor to consider when selecting shapewear is comfort. You want to choose shapewear that doesn't restrict your movement or cause any discomfort. It shouldn’t dig in your skin and you should be able to move around comfortably without feeling restricted.
Materials to Look for in Shapewear
Some materials to look for in shapewear include:
- Cotton: This is a breathable and comfortable material that can help wick away moisture, making it ideal for shapewear.
- Bamboo: This is a sustainable fabric that is soft, lightweight and breathable. It's also hypoallergenic, making it a great choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Nylon: This is a stretchy and lightweight material that can provide comfortable compression. It's also durable and long-lasting, making it a popular choice for shapewear.
Avoiding Common Discomforts
There are two common problems with shapewear, chafing and rolling. To avoid chafing, look for anti-chafing shapewear such as the Undersummers shortlette. It is made of moisture wicking fabric and shapes the thighs without causing friction. To prevent rolling, ensure that the shapewear fits properly. If the shapewear is too loose, it may roll down or bunch up, causing discomfort and making it less effective. On the other hand, if the shapewear is too tight, it may dig into your skin and cause discomfort.
Tip 3: Layering Shapewear for Maximum Effect
Layering shapewear can help you achieve maximum shaping and slimming benefits. However, it's essential to layer shapewear correctly to avoid discomfort or visible lines. When layering shapewear, start with the garment that provides the most compression and work your way out. For example, start with high-waist briefs and add a full-body suit on top for maximum shaping benefits.
Combining Different Types of Shapewear
Combining different types of shapewear can also help you achieve maximum effect. For example, you can pair high-waist briefs with a thigh shaper to target both the tummy and thighs. Or, you can pair a cami with high-waist briefs for an overall slimming effect.
Layering Tips for a Smooth and Seamless Look
To achieve a smooth and seamless look when layering shapewear, consider the following tips:
- Avoid wearing shapewear that is too tight or too loose.
- Choose shapewear with flat or hidden seams such as the shortlette which has an inner thigh seam.
- Opt for shapewear that is close to your skin tone to avoid visible lines.
Tip 4: Proper Care and Maintenance of Your Shapewear
Proper care and maintenance of your shapewear can help it to fit well and last longer. For starters, always read the care instructions provided by the manufacturer before washing or storing your shapewear.
Washing and Drying Guidelines
To wash shapewear, follow these guidelines:
- Use a mild detergent and cold water to wash your shapewear.
- Avoid using fabric softener, bleach, or harsh chemicals.
- Hand wash or use the delicate cycle on your washing machine.
To dry shapewear, follow these guidelines:
- Avoid using a dryer, as the heat can damage the material.
- Lay your shapewear flat to dry, or hang it up to air dry.
- Avoid wringing or twisting the shapewear.
Extending the Lifespan of Your Shapewear
To ensure that your shapewear stays in good condition for a longer period, consider the following:
- Avoid wearing shapewear for extended periods or while sleeping.
- Store your shapewear in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid exposing your shapewear to direct sunlight or heat.
Wearing shapewear comfortably and stylishly is all about selecting the right shapewear and prioritizing comfort and breathability. You can get maximum results by layering shapewear such with a cooling camisole.
If you decide that shapewear is not for you, a wonderful comfortable and breathable alternative is the Shortlette from Undersummers. Not only is comfortable but it stays in place and is lightweight.
Once you have the perfect choice, it is important that you properly care for and maintain it. By following the tips outlined in this article, you can make the most out of your shapewear and achieve a smooth and streamlined silhouette.