Three Tips for Making Your Leggings Stay Up All Day
Leggings and pants are an essential part of any wardrobe, especially for those who love physical activities such as yoga, running, or working out. However, one of the most frustrating things while wearing leggings is constantly pulling them up. It can be distracting and lead to embarrassment, particularly during a workout.
Having leggings that stay up all day is crucial to avoid these issues, and there are a few tips you can follow to achieve this. Proper sizing, body type, and fabric choice are three key elements that can significantly impact how well your leggings stay up during physical activities.
Along with these three key elements, here are a few tips to ensure that your leggings stay in place throughout the day.
- Choose the right size and fit: Make sure you choose leggings that fit you well. Leggings that are too loose or too tight can cause them to slide down throughout the day. Look for leggings that fit comfortably around your waist and hips, with enough stretch to move with your body.
- Opt for leggings with a high waistband and wide waistband: High-rise leggings with a wide waistband can provide more coverage and support, which can help keep them in place. Look for leggings, such as the high waist ponte legging by Undersummers, with a waistband that sits above your belly button and is at least 3 inches wide.
- Use double-sided fashion tape: If you're still having trouble keeping your leggings up, try using double-sided fashion tape. This can help keep your leggings in place by sticking them to your skin. Place the tape along the waistband or on the inside of the leggings to help prevent slipping.
- Use a belt or waistband extender: You can also try using a belt or waistband extender to adjust the fit and prevent slippage.
- Wear seamless underwear or shapewear: Seamless underwear and shapewear offer a smooth surface for leggings to grip onto. For example, the shortlette by Undersummers has a seamless inner thigh design. Wearing undergarments like this can help prevent leggings from sliding down.
- Invest in leggings with quality fabric: High-quality fabric offers better stretch and durability, which can help prevent leggings from losing shape and sliding down.
- Opt for leggings with a compression fit: Compression leggings offer a secure fit by hugging the body tightly. This can help keep leggings in place and prevent them from slipping down.
Understanding the Causes of Leggings Slipping Down
It is just as important to understand why leggings slip down. Knowing the cause can help you to avoid this fashion snafu.
- Poor fit: Leggings that are too loose or too tight can cause them to slip down. If you wear leggings that are too big, they may slide down due to a lack of support. On the other hand, if the leggings are too small, they may not have enough stretch to stay in place.
- Low-quality fabric: Leggings made from low-quality fabric may lose elasticity and stretch over time, causing the top seams on them to slide down. Cheap materials may also be thinner, so they may not have the necessary grip to stay in place.
- Lack of high-quality elastic bands: A lack of elastic in the waistband can cause leggings to slide down. An elastic waistband helps to keep leggings in place, so if the waistband of most high-waist leggings is too loose or lacks elasticity, the leggings fall.
- Inadequate rise: The rise of the leggings (the distance from the front crotch area of drawstring leggings to the waistband) can affect how well the leggings stay up. Leggings with a low rise may not provide enough coverage and support, causing them to slide down. On the other hand, leggings with a high rise provide more coverage and support, which can help keep them in place.
Maintenance Tips to Prevent Leggings From Slipping Down
Maintenance and proper care of your leggings are also important to keeping them in good shape and making sure you have a good fit. Here are some maintenance tips to prevent your leggings from falling or slipping down whether they are old or new:
- Wash leggings in cold water: Hot water can damage the fabric and cause it to lose elasticity. Wash your leggings in cold water to help preserve the fabric stretchiness.
- Air dry leggings: Using a dryer can shrink leggings and cause them to lose shape. Instead, hang your leggings up to air dry or lay them flat to prevent them from losing their shape.
- Avoid fabric softener: Fabric softener can leave a residue that makes leggings slippery. Instead, use a small amount of mild detergent to clean your leggings.
- Store leggings folded: Hanging leggings can cause them to stretch out and lose shape. Fold your leggings neatly and store them in a drawer or on a shelf.
In closing, it's essential to reiterate the importance of optimizing the fit of your leggings to keep them from sliding down. By following the tips shared, you can ensure that you are wearing leggings that will stay up all day long. First, start with a good fit. Then choose the best fabric for your body type, and select leggings with the appropriate waistband design such as the flow legging by Undersummers.
Combining features such as a high waist legging design, compressive fabrics, and pockets can help you achieve a more secure fit. When you are comfortable that your leggings will stay up, you can better focus on your favorite activities like walking on the beach, shopping or enjoying a zumba class.